Menu

Space Opera and New Fronteir


Image result for the martian andy weir
For this section I decided to read The Martian by Andy Weir. I really loved this book and thoroughly enjoyed reading it. The main character has the best personality for a such a terrifying situation, granted he's a scientist and trained astronaut, but as a human reaction most would be terrified to point of being unable to function. Mark just up and got to business on his survival and used every ounce of smarts he had. His witty comments and banter throughout the book kept it feeling alive and humorous in a dire situation. While reading I constantly had the thought of how I would react if I was in his place, with all my current knowledge, not being a scientist. Its a scary thought, I love space and would love to be an astronaut, but I don't know if I could handle the thought of being trapped in space or on a barren planet with no communications. Mark has a Iron will and impeccable motivation do everything in his power to get home.


Image result for The Martian gifI had seen the movie prior to reading the book, and I actually didn't realize there was a book preceding the movie. The film was a joy to watch and I feel that Matt Damon was the perfect choice for Mark Watney. Of course they left out a lot of the in-between stuff, but made up for it by adding the ending of the movie that did not exist in the book. All for all, for new frontiers I'm always attracted to anything space related and my interest is usually piqued. I also recommend fully reading The Martian, its a joy and I always got a kick out of the terrible jokes from Mark.
Image result for The Martian

1 comments:

Courtney Jones

I too had heard of the movie and never heard of the book! It's interesting how that happens a lot in film. Just like Babel-17 being the foundation to Arrival. I didn't read the book, but definitely want to. I feel it's rare for a film to cover all aspects of a book, but it is cool that they gave the book an ending in the film!

Post a Comment

 

About